Thursday 18 June 2009

Sugar sandwich

I've eaten a pound of cherries today and I am waiting to see if there will be repercussions. I normally eat a lot of fruit so I will probably be alright. Cherries are in season right now. Every time I walk in front of the fruit vendors on the market the smell makes me buy something. A few days ago I polished off 2 huge baskets of strawberries. I try to always buy fruit and produce that comes from Belgium as I know it will taste better than their foreign cousins. The apples here are hands down the best I have ever tasted. The strawberries, however expensive, are world renown and when you dip them in our chocolate it is heavenly lust in its purest form. I have discovered a new/ancient veggie that they call blete (or leaf beets according to google) about a year ago and that is currently my all time favorite veggie in the universe. It looks a little like spinach and you can cook it as such. It tastes a million times better. I made dinner for some friends last night and I prepared blete, potatoes with homemade sour cream and fresh green onion, baby endive salad, and rotisserie chicken (is that cheating?). There were no leftovers and this pleases me. I was completely exhausted by the end of the day and left Doc to contend with our guests while I attempted to put the pint sized dictatrice to sleep. Guess who fell asleep first...

The little one has been really wound up the past few evenings when we brought her home from day care. Completely unfocused, restless, totally speeded out, whiny, misbehaving and repeating herself over and over. She is usually quite the opposite unless she is really tired and it is way past her bedtime. I suspect white sugar. We rarely give her candy, cookies or sugary crap in general as I see it affects her in a negative way. Once a week or so I will give her a small piece of chocolate or a bite or 2 of something sweet which she will spit out half the time anyway. A couple days ago when retrieving her from the day care they told me she did not eat anything all day but a sandwich. "Ahh, a sandwich is good, what kind?" I asked. Preserves, as in jelly. My god! that is pure sugar on white bread. I did not say anything to the day care but vented my disbelief with friends and was informed that this is quite normal as is chocolate sandwiches as well. Doc said he saw her eating a huge chocolate bunny yesterday when he picked her up. AAAccckkk! I will have to say something as hell hath no fury like a baby on sugar. Tonight she went to be with her grandparents until Saturday. I miss the little monster already but I can appreciate the sound of silence more at this moment. I think I will try not to sleep more than 12 hours/day while she is gone.

No comments: