Monday 20 July 2009

X marks the spot

Today was spent at the hospital radiotherapy unit where they placed carefully measured X's all over my torso. These marks will be useful for the upcoming radiotherapy (cobalt) treatments to ensure that they expose the same area every time x25 days. The sharpie X's are protected by clear tape and I am told not to wash them too much, don't use soap, pat them dry when they get wet, and try not to get them wet. I was given a page of upcoming appointments that go until September as I watched a surveillance monitor of an elderly mastectomy patient undergoing her treatment in the next room. It looks pretty uneventful but I found it strange to see. I wonder, who will watch me like I watched her? It was reassuring to see the procedure looks pretty boring but will the girl (or guy) watching me take the same comfort? Is it planned to let the upcoming patients get a peek on the action? I'm glad I did not need a mastectomy that is for sure. My breast looks just as beautiful as before, with the addition of a T shaped 1 inch scar on my areola. I always thought my rack was one of my breast features. Yeah, OK I'll stop now. I was told to order a specially formulated Ginkgo Biloba from my acupuncturist, but I am unsure of exactly how to take it. I paid a fortune for the 3 bottles that I need to avoid burning my pale and sometimes sensitive skin. If it does not work I will be pissed about being out €230.

No comments: