Monday 13 July 2009

Goddamn tenants

Things have been a little crazy around here and today is the first day in awhile I have had a minute to myself. We may have found a solution for an apartment, but I will wait before I tell you more just to see if it pans out a little further. The little one had a fever on and off this weekend and is testing every limit imaginable. It is difficult for the moment as everything is met by a challenge (getting dressed, eating, going toilet, refuses to walk and wants to be carried everywhere, "no, I don't want to", etc.). I guess this is normal considering the parents and I take comfort knowing this will make her a strong woman like all the others in her lineage. It is probably not helping that she does not feel well.

I am having to evict my tenant from what was my old house in Florida. I have always had fantasies of owning several properties, retiring, and living comfortably on the rent money, but I am starting to think this is a pipe dream. About 10 years ago I bought a condo as an investment property, fixed it up, then found a tenant. The nice family that moved in trashed the place in the 2 months they squatted there before I had them evicted. I had to go back in and spiffy the place up again to sell it. Alot of work, but I guess I can't really complain as I made a tidy sum on the sale. It is just the stress that killed me then and is starting to get to me this time. I detest kicking someone out, but I abhor the idea that someone is trying to get one over on me; therein lies the stress. What to do, I guess I have no luck (or talent) in this area. I just don't get why people can't pay their friggin rent. I always paid mine on time back in the day before I owned. It never occurred to me to try to screw someone over this way and it pisses me off that someone would do this to me. Ahh yes, the stress. The worst thing I did as a tenant was break down a door (for fun one drunken afternoon with friends) and I was happy to replace it. We also put a kiddie pool in the living room for a few days which involved yet more drunken escapades. The wooden floor was already a real mess so the water everywhere actually made the floor nicer after all and there was no damage. This also helped clean up when my roommate played kick box with a full (and then very quickly empty) gallon of milk a few weeks before. The rent was always on time and the house in good order. I am thinking of selling the house and a big piece of land we bought in Costa Rica. We could perhaps then buy a nice place over here and keep the apartment we have here as well. With the current financial problems going on globally and no real end in sight I think it might be less stress to not have to worry about tenants across the ocean. I dunno, I am just sounding off. Do you know anyone who wants to buy 10 hectares in Costa Rica?

No comments: