Thursday 23 July 2009

Cobalt and the F word

My birthday went off without a hitch. The daycare has been closed all week so the Little One has been with me nonstop. Tomorrow she will be with her grandparents and we will have the real birthday celebration which will consist of friends coming over for a drink. I am really looking forward to it. My birthday is the Belgian Independence Day which makes things pretty tricky for doing something seeing how Doc is the sort of guy who waits till the last minute. Everything is usually closed, booked solid, sold out or completely packed. Four (I think) years ago he called me from the airport (all the travel agencies in town were closed) to ask me which "last minute" weekend getaway I prefer. We ended up getting into a tiff because I was so irritated at his lack of preparation, come to find out, every flight was booked into next week ages ago anyway. We ended up driving to Baden Baden, Germany with no regrets. It was fantastic but a long drive. Last year we went to a gastronomic restaurant and spent 5 hours at the table eating and drinking the day away. I love good food so this was really a perfect gift. Doc told me what my gift is this year and I am waiting for it to arrive in the mail. I suspect it will take a week or two to get here given the holiday and the fact everything moves slower over here in the summer months.

In other news, I received my first radiation treatment this afternoon. I lay down on a strange looking table with my arm raised over my head. I am topless and the room is positively freezing. There are red laser lines going all over the room that they line up with the marks on my body and they leave the room closing the heavy lead door behind them after saying "Don't move, and try not to breathe too deeply and DON'T MOVE!" The machine makes a noise above me and I see a light radiating from a square opening. Is that the cobalt? Does it glow? I hope it works. They have a stereo system in there blasting that stupid song that I HATE. "F- you, F**k you very much" in that sticky sweet pop. I can't stand that song. They play it everywhere here and I am always surprised to hear it in public with the F word coming through clear as a bell. Not that I dislike the F word, but I think that song sucks and it is kinda disturbing to see Francophone old ladies wearing aprons in the grocery store trying to sing it. I think if they knew the lyrics and the translation they would be appalled. You are right, I would probably laugh at the whole thing if the song did not suck so badly.

No comments: