Saturday 1 August 2009

The door



UN knocked at the door yesterday to apologise and announce that he has quit drinking. He cannot remember very much of the past few weeks and took to heart some of the things everyone in the house had told him the day before. I hope he can dry out and I know it will not be easy for him. UN is actually a really sweet guy. A young 30's musician with a big heart, open mind and will literally give you the shirt off his back or whatever else you compliment him on. Unfortunately, his generosity is greatly appreciated by the area transients for the moment. Yesterday and today a young vagabond rang at his door to do laundry, and he let him in. This cannot continue or I will go insane. I hate the idea of strangers coming and going just outside our (normally unlocked) door. I don't want to start locking it but I see no other choice for the moment.

Speaking of doors, the past week Doc has been refinishing all the window frames of the apartment and today the guys started on the front door. I love the little windows that open and the detailing on the upper part of the frame. I took some pics while there seems to be a small crowd there drinking beer, dodging hornets and watching/commenting on work progress. Something about getting out tools will always attract thirsty men that want to help, give advice, and drink with power tools whirring as background music. If I am ever single and on the prowl, I will deploy this fail safe technique for meeting men who are good with their hands ;)

No comments: